Sunday, March 11, 2007

Brick by brick

My father-in-law was an expert bricklayer. Even though he was missing a few fingers on one hand. Just after he was injured, he was hired by a man to lay brick.

He tried it for a while, and told the man, “I don’t think I can do this.”

His boss said, “I hired you to lay brick, you take as long as you need to get the hang of it.”

Because his boss believed in him, he persevered and he adapted to the loss of his fingers. He had to handle the brick a different way from the rest of the masons, but with determination and his plumb line—he built a lot of things.

How often do we tell God, “I don’t think I can do this!” That fear always pops up for me when someone asks me a difficult question about faith. Today I felt that prod to go visit a new neighbor and decided to take a s’mores kit—because I noticed they like their fire pit.

All the way down the road, I heard “I don’t think I can do this!”

When you get out of your comfort zone, the enemy will throw all kinds of doubts at you.

We feel that since we don’t have a theological degree, we can’t be useful to God. Did you know that God does some of His best work with people who have weaknesses? Because people will see that the only way we could do it, was with God's help!

I don’t like confrontation and I don’t like speaking to strangers. But somehow God gives me the courage to walk down that road…literally. And if all I do is make them feel welcome to the neighborhood, then I’ve begun the first step. The Holy Spirit will then take that seed and do with it what He will.

It’s not up to me to get them saved; it’s up to me to be obedient when the spirit says, “Hey, how about saying hi to them, they need a smile.”

I want to encourage you to take some time to figure out how to talk to people about your faith. You will have a different way of sharing from mine, because we were made differently. Still not so sure? Why not get with a friend who’s good at it and ask to be mentored? Are you ready to start and need some ideas? Check out www.servantevangelism.com.

With perseverance and God’s plumb line, the Bible, you can’t go wrong in building God’s kingdom. Together we can get this done, brick by brick!

No comments: