Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Penny for your Thoughts?

If you see a penny on the ground, do you pick it up? What do you do with it? Save it in a jar at home, until you get enough for a cup of that Fourbucks coffee? Or do you toss it in the nearby fountain, making a wish as it kersplooshes into the greenish water?

One of my favorite authors, Ruth Bell Graham wrote, "Temptation and testing are two sides of the same coin. Satan uses an occasion or a person to tempt us to fall; God uses the same to try us and make us stronger."

What a revelation that was for me! Every day I get the spare change of life in my path. What I didn't realize is that it's my choice to either spend my time fighting the temptation and fall or look at it as a test to build my character as a Christian.

So tomorrow when that trial is at your feet, pick it up and look at both sides. What would be the wise thing to do with it?

Is it going to be heads or tails today? A trial or a temptation? Let's spend it on something that will last for Eternity.

No comments: