Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Shattered

I was barefoot in the kitchen when my glass full of ice hit the tile floor. I had misjudged the counter's edge by the width of a drinking glass. It hit the floor inches from my toes and scattered a large radius with blue shards and ice cubes.

From experience, I knew better than to do the dance of avoidance and risk getting cut. Those slippery splinters stopped dancing after a few seconds and I remained still to survey the debris field. My husband had heard the crash and knew better than to run in sock-footed. He went to get the broom and dust pan while I backed to the edge of the kitchen.

We started on the outer edge and swept our way to the center, coaxing those sapphire slivers into a glittery pile. The larger pieces I gingerly plucked with my thumb and finger, careful not to press on the razor edges and tossed them into the garbage.

When it seemed clear, I did one more cleanup with a damp paper towel with a better vantage point from my knees. This snagged sand sized glass that would deliver sneaky foot punctures.

I found a bit of melancholy there as well...this was one of the glasses from a set my mom purchased for our home before she died.

When life seems to shatter at our feet, how do we handle it? Do we dance around, trying to avoid the flying debris of broken dreams and hearts? Or do we sweep them under the carpet, only to find them resurfacing at inopportune times? Do we tip toe around the shards and ignore the pain waiting to immobilize our walk in life? Or do we survey the damage and go right to work...with loved ones stepping in with just what we need? Do we work our way around the edges, gathering the pieces as we kneel in prayer--not missing a fragment that skittered away into a dark corner?

I realize the only way I'll get that glass put back together is if I was a glass blower. No amount of super glue will restore that drinking glass. The same goes with the crises in my life. The only One I can turn over the pieces to is God. He is the creator of this earthly vessel and He is the only one who will make something amazing out of the shards of my life.

But I have to be the one willing to get to work and pick up the pieces first.

Is anyone crying for help? God is listening, ready to rescue you.

If your heart is broken, you’ll find God right there; if you’re kicked in the gut, he’ll help you catch your breath.

Disciples so often get into trouble; still, God is there every time.
Psalm 34:17-19 (MSG)

No comments: