Friday, August 03, 2012

Move Me

I work in an office on the second floor. Another department decided to move some very large lateral file cabinets from one side of the building to the other. The man that moved them had a hand truck and a work order to get it done. The hard part is that the files were still in the cabinets, so it made the move a little difficult.

He was a man on a mission and in no time the first 5ft high cabinet was in place on the other side of the building. I figured this early work day task was soon to be over with. When I didn't see him as quickly with the second set of files, I peeked around the doorway from my office and saw him struggling a little more than the first time. He seemed to be trying to move this one with one arm.

I asked if he was ok and he said, "Nah, I'm fine. It's this gecko in my other hand that's giving me some trouble. "

It turned out that this guy had found a lizard and wanted to make sure he got it outside safely...it wouldn't survive in an air conditioned, bug-free zone. He was multi-tasking...moving the cabinet and the gecko.

"It wouldn't be so bad," he said, "but that lizard has bit me twice now and that doesn't help!"

I plopped back in the chair behind my desk and realized how much the gecko and I had in common.

How many times have I shook my fist at God, not understanding what was going on...biting the hand that fed me...refusing the help He offered because I thought I could do it all by myself?

How many times did I turn from His grace, His favor...consumed by self-rightousness because I was not where I thought I should be? Some days it was an endless bumping into mental corners and getting stepped on by the world.

If I would just be still in His hand, He would literally move heaven and earth for me...if I let Him. Because unlike my friend who moved the cabinets...it's my choice to remain in the will (hand) of God. He doesn't take away that choice from me.

Yes the little gecko made it back outside and my friend moved those cabinets without injury except for a few gecko nibbles.

But as for me? I think my heart was moved farther than those cabinets. I want to resolve to stay in God's will for the rest of my life. Because when my life starts to feel like it's changing up the floorplan, the best place to be is in my Father's hands.

Jesus answered, "I told you, but you don't believe. Everything I have done has been authorized by my Father, actions that speak louder than words. You don't believe because you're not my sheep. My sheep recognize my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them real and eternal life. They are protected from the Destroyer for good. No one can steal them from out of my hand. The Father who put them under my care is so much greater than the Destroyer and Thief. No one could ever get them away from him. I and the Father are one heart and mind."
John 10:25-30 (MSG)

No comments: