Monday, January 10, 2011

Keep the Fire 2

I had a few more thoughts on our campfire experience. I decided, it's all about the marshmallows. It's not the chocolate or the graham crackers. They are just the vehicles to get the wonderful sugar napalm to your taste buds.

When we stopped at the grocery to pick up s'mores supplies, there was literally one bag of large marshmallows left. We made our way home with our bag of inedible looking white sponges. Little did they realize what was in store for them!

Hubby went out to where the palmettos and palm trees grow and selected some long green palm sticks. These he sharpened down to a point at one end. We stoked the fire a bit and watched the coals grow orange. Then one by one we parked a marshmallow on the end of a long stick and held it over the fire. Very carefully we held it near the coals, not taking our eyes off of it. One centimeter too close and whoosh! We had an instant torch on the end of the stick. No matter how quickly we blew it out, a charred smoking husk dangled from the end of the stick.

As we gained expertise, we figured out the best coals for slowly toasting a marshmallow. We'd turn it near the glowing ember, watching for a lick of flame to tease us with a flame-out. We kept it just out of reach, always watching, always turning. Sure, our faces felt warm and we might've singed some hair on our hands...but once we proclaimed it "Perfect!", the humble marshmallow was elevated to a gourmet experience: campfire brulee.

It's the same with me. If I realize when life gets hot that I am in the hands of the Master, I will trust that He is always watching and will never drop me into the flame. Because He knows just how much heat I can bear...as well as how much more flavorful my life can be. Why should I be satisfied with what the world calls "normal life"? --when I can step into the amazing purpose that God has in store for me...dancing just inches above the fire!

Life is sweet...why not ask for s'more?

These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold – and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world. 1 Peter 1:7

No comments: