Sunday, September 23, 2007

Lights Out

It was after the evening church service and we were all standing around, talking and laughing. There was a Florida rainstorm going on, so inevitably the lights went out. It's amazing how quickly the room went silent. All you could see were the EXIT lights, showing the way out of the pitch black room. The lights came back on again, and everyone resumed their laughter and conversation. My sis-in-law and I decided it was time to duck out in the rain and get home.

If the lights had stayed out, we still would've made our way outside because those EXIT lights are battery operated. They stay on when all the electricity goes off. They help you find your way out of an unfamiliar building. (Yeah, you see where I'm going with this don't you?)

Has it gotten dark in your life lately? Did all the lights go out and nobody's talking or laughing anymore? Do you find yourself trapped in unfamiliar territory and don't see a way out?

Jesus said, "I am the way…" (John 14:6) and " I am the door" (John 10:9) When you are fighting depression or life has gotten so hard that you're looking to get out, I will point you to Jesus. His light never goes out and He will always lead you out of the dark. (I know this first hand.)

All you have to do is trust. I know that's one of those little big words, but maybe if you talk to others who have taken that route, you'll see it's a real deal. That EXIT light does not lead to more darkness or a locked door; it takes you to a freedom that is so amazing you will wonder why you fumbled around by yourself this long.

Where do you start? Pick up your Bible and start with the book of John. Ask a Christian friend to pray for you. Don't give up and keep searching my friend. Ask lots of questions! I'll pray for that light to go on for you.

Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life." John 8:12

No comments: