Thursday, October 27, 2005

Getting Lost

My son started high school this year. He was a little worried about getting lost on campus. I encouraged him to use his map, ask people for directions and move quickly so he wouldn’t be late for class. He has made it through so far as “the new kid” and even made a few new friends.

God has a way of talking to us with our life experiences, and He tapped me on the heart again with this one. If my son had relied solely on his map, he would’ve made it eventually to his classes. But he might’ve been late or missed out on a shortcut provided by a new friend. He could’ve thrown the map away and just relied on the good nature of the kids that had been there before, but without the map—how many times would he be sent the wrong way either by mistake or by people picking on “the new kid”? And if he didn’t move quickly, how many detentions would he receive for constantly being late for his classes?

What God was asking me was, do I neglect to read my Bible for direction when faced with choices in my life? Do I chuck the map and ask friends, family and Dr. Phil for advice? How do I glean the good information from the psycho-babble of the day when facing troubles? Or, do I have stunted spiritual growth because I do not add fellowship and works to my Bible study? Am I missing out on a new friend that could give me insight to my walk? What about indecision, am I just missing opportunities and blessings that were around the next bend by staying put and pouting?

God encourages us daily to write His word on our heart. (Proverbs 7:3b) Before you take a step out the door today, read your Bible for direction and insight. Use prayer to reset your compass and stay tuned in to where He wants you to go. Talk with friends and family who have been down the same road you are on. They’ll know the shortcuts and potholes, and you might even find an opportunity to share your walk with them. And by all means, don’t dawdle. Indecision is disobedience.

Feel free to get lost, but take your map and your loved ones. Because being a Christian means you’ll eventually make it Home, no matter where in this world Life takes you.
Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path. Ps 119:105